iPad 2 Duct Tape Folio Smart Case – by coregeek
This is an archive post. The Duct Tape Smart Case is now known as the Duct Tape Magnetic Jacket. Please visit www.ducttapecase.com for all the latest information about this project.
My design goal for this was to build a full folio style case that utilized the magnetic system to secure the iPad to the case and of course for it to be stylish even though the primary material is duct tape.
Although the original iPad Duct Tape Folio worked well it did have a few negatives:
• I based the core out of posterboard (mostly because that’s what I had lying around the house) which worked okay but it was a little too flexible and the duct tape showed off every little dent or crease.
• I never really liked the elastic corners for securing the iPad, they worked well but looked kind of cheesy.
• It lacked a built in stand or prop for easier typing, watching, etc.
Keeping all of the above in mind, here’s the list of features for the new Duct Tape Folio for iPad 2:
• Integrated sleep/wake function
• Easy magnetic insert and removal
• Built in prop/stand
• Durable plywood core
• Stylish magnetic clasp
Be sure to check out the video at the end of the post to see it all in action.
04/10/11 – Update
I’ve been receiving such great feedback I’d like to elaborate a little more in response:
This was mostly just a challenge to myself to create a full case (front and back) that utilized the magnetics as the sole mechanism to attach the iPad.
All of the other full cases I’ve seen cover the ipad in some way similar to Apple’s original iPad case. I always thought those type of cases were ugly and detract from the simpleness of the ipad. I think Apple felt the same way and with the iPad 2 they designed the wonderfully simple smart cover. I wanted to build upon that simplicity. Sure the industrial look of duct tape is not for everyone, but it definitely is unique.
08/16/11 – Update
* Visit www.ducttapecase.com for the latest info on how to get your own iPad 2 Duct Tape Case. *